USB 2

Petesilver 12:54 02 Nov 07

i want to upgrade to usb 2 but have no slots available so can I remove to old usb 1.1 and slot it in there and will it work ok and is ther any thing else I ought to know ??
thanks

DieSse 13:00 02 Nov 07

If you're talking about removing a PCI card with USB1 and replacing it with a PCI card with USB2 - then yes, you can do that without problems.

You can get cards with 5 or 6 USB2 ports I believe - though some sockets may be internal access - normally you always get 4 with access at the rear of the system.

Petesilver 13:05 02 Nov 07

sorry also should have said the pc is Mesh about 3 years old XP Home 1G of ram ,SP2 with all relevent microsoft upgrades, processor athlon 2.4ghz

Petesilver 13:10 02 Nov 07

diesse
thanks I have had a look inside the case already I don't think it is actually plugged in the PCI connection but it is there...there is also 2 usb sockets further up on the back and 2 more at the front, what would happen to these ??

I am Spartacus 13:24 02 Nov 07

If it's only 3 years old I'm surprised that they're not USB 2 ports.

DieSse 14:00 02 Nov 07

Any ports built onto the motherboard would stay - and they would stay as USB1 or 2 - whichever they are now.

I concur - my system is older than 3 years and USB2 ports were normal when I constructed it.

Why do you think they're not USB2 - look in the Hardware Manager for "Enhanced USB etc"

Any ports which are vertical, and on the (roughly) 6x2" plate along with all the other connectors - are on the motherboard.

Any ports which are horizontal, and on one of the horizontal strip plates further down, will be on a PCI plug-in card.

Ports on the front of the case will be internally connected to the motherboard.

What make/model is the motherboard?

DieSse 14:02 02 Nov 07

Any ports which are horizontal, and on one of the horizontal strip plates further down, will be on a PCI plug-in card.

Er sorry - not quite correct. Some may be connected to the motherboard via a cable. If it's just the plate with a cable coming off it - then they too are motherboard ports.

Petesilver 14:28 02 Nov 07

the mother board is ASUS model A7N266VM
I dug out the Receipt I bought it in May 2003 so its over 4 years old now sorry
I have checked and it all USB 1.1 there is no enhanced usb

the ports off the card are horizontal as are the ones at the front but the ones higher at the back are vertical.
I did notice when I looked inside there are 2 connections coming off the card to the mother board but its definately not plugged into the PCI so what woud i do with these ??
I was going to try install this myself but I'm beginning to wonder

I am Spartacus 15:07 02 Nov 07

The existing USB ports are probably connected to either headers on the motherboard or the motherboard itself (looking at the manual) and you can leave those in place if you want.

Installing a card in the PCI slot is easy to do.

Totally-braindead 15:32 02 Nov 07

I've been looking through various posts on the board and although it does surprise me it does appear from the posts that mention the speed of the USB that they are all USB 1.1.

They will stay USB 1.1 but adding a PCI card as has been mentioned would allow you to add USB 2.0 to your PC.

Heres an example of a USB 2.0 card that fits in a PCI slot click here that one gives you 3 USB 2.0 ports and this one gives you 5 click here

Petesilver 15:38 02 Nov 07

Thanks Totally
But my problem is I have no spare room to insert another card that is why I am asking if i remove the usb 1 card and insert the usb card how will this affect my as that is not plugged into the PCI but there are 2 cables connecting in ti mother board

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…