USB 1.1/2.0

Bam 13:32 26 Jul 04

Hi, the current USB ports on my mobo are 1.1. Can I install a PCI USB 2.0 card in a spare slot and have:

(i) 4 new usb 2.0 slots
(ii) 4 existing usb 1.1 slots

Will this work ok? Do I need to disable the 1.1 ports? Will there be a conflict?

Cheers

alan227 13:46 26 Jul 04

Install the card and if you are not using XP then install the drivers for your OS.
And you will have 4 X 1,1 & 4 X 2.0

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:46 26 Jul 04

USB 2 will make no difference unless you are video-editing or moving more than 5Gbs of data at a time.

G

Stuartli 15:12 26 Jul 04

USB2 is fully backwards compatible - if you use a USB device in a USB1 slot it will work at the lower specification.

Stuartli 15:13 26 Jul 04

..use a USB2 device...

flyingpeterpan 15:29 26 Jul 04

If you plug a USB 2 device in a USB 1 port, sometimes not only will it not work, but you also get an error message saying that you have a high speed device plugged into a slow USB port, try another one, I am not against anyone, but do get the USB 2 PCI card if your PC supports it but make sure you get the proper one because the XP one sometimes dosen't work on the cheaper cards, you end up using slow rather than high speed, I am sure other driver info. Forum experts members can hep should you have any problem.

ventanas 15:39 26 Jul 04

I have USB2 devices plugged into 1.1 ports on various machines, and the other way round. No problems at all.

If you have XP just slot the card in and reboot. XP will sort it out, but you must have SP1 to be able to use USB2.

But as GANDALF <|:-)> says, you will not notice a scrap of difference with devices like scanners and printers. But you will have more slots.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…