USB 1.1 and external hard drive

bionicle 19:47 12 Jun 07

I only have a 40gb hard drive which means I need more storage. I am thinking of getting an external hard drive but wonder if it will play audio and video okay as I have a slow 1.1 USB connection.

Another consideration is that I am able to transfer audio and video from my computer onto my i-pod but if I moved the files onto the external hard drive would that mean I could connect the i-pod directly to the external HD which presumably would have a USB 2.0 connection and would therefore be faster?

Stuartli 19:49 12 Jun 07

You can buy a four or five port USB2 PCI card for around a tenner which will upgrade your system to USB2 and its much faster transfer rates.

bionicle 19:51 12 Jun 07

Thanks Stuartli

Would that be 'plug and play'
I dont really want to take my computer in for an upgrade job.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:24 12 Jun 07

click here to se how to fit a card yourself

just switch off
uplug
remove side
remove screw and back plate
push card into slot firmly
secure with screw from back plate
refit side and plug in switch on
Xp will find and install new hardware put in the CD and let XP load the drivers from the CD if required.

bionicle 20:45 12 Jun 07

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/
That's just what I have been unsuccessfully surfing for. Makes me a whole lot more confident. I have installed a new DVD drive in my computer in the past so I think I'll give this a go.

Cheers!

woodchip 23:52 12 Jun 07

You need the correct drivers for the PCI card for it to work as USB2

keef66 09:53 13 Jun 07

If you have Win XP SP2 then you shouldn't need any drivers.

Stuartli 11:13 13 Jun 07

If you don't have XP, you should get a CD-ROM with the PCI USB2 card containing the required USB2 drivers.

I have such a card, in addition to the normal USB ports, and one of its ports is used for a powered USB1.1 hub to handle older USB devices.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…