USB 1.1 to 2.0?

Kegsy 21:23 08 Feb 04

I’ve recently signed up for Tiscali BB, but am having technical problems which they haven’t yet sorted. One suggestion from them is to upgrade from USB 1.1 to USB 2.0. I don’t know how to check this on my system (WIN 98, PIII) or how to update if necessary. Can someone help?

woodchip 21:29 08 Feb 04

You need to buy a PCI USB 2 Card With Win98 Drivers

Mike ® 21:34 08 Feb 04

"You need to buy a PCI USB 2 Card With Win98 Drivers"

Watch out though some require 98se, what do you have?

woodchip 21:36 08 Feb 04

That's what I ment, I think you would only get 98se anyway

Kegsy 21:49 08 Feb 04

I've only got WIN 98

DieSse 21:55 08 Feb 04

You may find an upgrade of your motherboard drivers to the latest version would solve your problems - particularly if you have a Via chipset motherboard.

DAG88 22:28 08 Feb 04

How would upgrading form USB 1.1 to USB help though?

USB 1.1 is easily capable of the bandwidth of the internet

Just a thought

JerryJay 22:49 08 Feb 04

USB 1.1 is enough for broadband. Did you properly load driver they supplied with modem? Try to update your Win98 by going to Microsoft website. I think you shold follow DieSse's suggestion to your PC motherboard's web site to get updated drivers. Otherwise, you may not be able to slove the problem by put a USB 2.0 card in.

JIM 23:29 08 Feb 04

I believe that the original Speed Touch USB modem that Tiscali BB supplied in the past, should give you the result with WIN98.

Thats If your having modem connection problems? They still are available from,

click here

Multiple Platform Support The Speed Touch USB can run on multiple platforms, such as Windows 98, 98 SE,2000, ME, XP, Mac OS 8.6, 9.0, X and Linux.

Give them a ring or have a word with Tiscali if they insist on them supplying you with the modem.I also wonder why they suggested that you upgrade from USB 1.1 to USB 2.0.?

The Via chipset that was reported in the past, by Tiscali BB with problems, was the Apollo Via K133 chipset and the Asus A7V motherboard.(i would not think that spec applies to your system?)

Saying that the Speed Touch USB performed with out a flaw on my system and there via K133 chipset/Mboard.

With the bt Voyager modem there ws no final connection.Put it down to the fact that the surge on downloading was causing the problem wth the Voyager modem. Might be better if you describe the problem your having.

Kegsy 18:18 10 Feb 04

Yes, I've got the Speedtouch USB modem as supplied by Tiscali, the lights on it are constant as they should be, but I keep getting the error message "no dial tone". Tiscali did not give reasons for suggesting the USB 1.1 upgrade

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:21 10 Feb 04

The modem has to be connected directly to a powered (preferably from the case) USB socket and NOT to an extension.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…