USB 1.0 to USB 2.0

cthooli 13:27 07 Sep 04

I've got a laptop with two USB 1.0 ports on it. Is there any (fairly low cost) adpater i can buy that means i can plug a USB 2.0 devicve into them and achieve the high speeds that USB 2.0 delivers as i've seen cards to go into desktop computers that do the same. If anyones seen anything like that for a laptop please let me know!!

cga 13:42 07 Sep 04

USB 1.x ports will only be able to acheive that speed whatever adapter you plug into them.

In a desktop PC you can put a new PCI card in to get USB 2.0 ports but the internal speed in this case is the PCI bus.

Not sure if you could get any card adapter for your laptop that might give you USB 2.0 - not seen one myself.

jimv7 13:42 07 Sep 04

Unless you get a usb2 card for your laptop, usb1 will only run 12mb per sec and not 480mb per sec as usb2.

ventanas 13:50 07 Sep 04

Think about it first. With items such as printers, scanners etc you won't notice a scrap of difference. External hard drives will be faster.

TomJerry 14:28 07 Sep 04

under £20, I will find link for you next post.

TomJerry 14:34 07 Sep 04

Two USB2 ports: Ebuyer 2 Port Hi-speed USB 2.0 Cardbus Pcmcia Adapter £12.92 click here

Two USB2 and Two Firewire: Ebuyer Usb2.0v 2 X USB Port + 2 X Ieee 1394 Port (1 X 6p, 1 X 4p) Combo Cardbus £23 click here

Four USB2: Ebuyer 4 Port Hi-speed USB 2.0 Cardbus Pcmcia Adapter £17.62 click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:50 07 Sep 04

If you need it for a printer and scanner there will be no noticeable difference in speeds. To be truthful even backing up a HD is not thast much quicker. If it is easy to install USB2, go ahead, if not leave it - not worth the money/hassle.

G

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 16:16 07 Sep 04

is right.......i have a parrellel printer and a usb there isn't any difference between them...apart from my usb printer (a newer one) prints quicker.(i think it could be becouse the PAR printer is old)

TomJerry 16:47 07 Sep 04

when you move big files and want to do it quickly, it really make difference.

For external DVD writer (or high speed CD writer), USB2 or Firewire is MUST.

Just £12, why not? It is just a plug in card. NO hassle.

cthooli 20:30 07 Sep 04

thanks for all the advice, spent seventy squid on externam CDRW/DVD Iomega drive, (knowing it was USB2) fully prepared to use the reduced rates but know these PCMCIA cards seem to be a life saver! didnt want to turf out too much money (just had laptop repaired, the new part cost a fiver and the labour cost 110..........). Thanks every one! btw do i need any new software or drivers or will there be ones incluided?

cthooli 20:37 07 Sep 04

anyone actually bought one of these either? There's all kinds of issues with the reviews about power requirments, the device its selft doesnt need power does it? its just talknig about getting power through it to the external device? The cd drive i've bought already has an external device so i should be okay yes?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…