USB 1 and USB 2 on same PC?

TheGnome 19:51 30 Jan 05

Whilst browsing in PC World I noticed some USB 2 PCI boards - My PC has USB 1 - anyone know whether there will be any problems if I install a USB 2 board in my USB 1 PC?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:55 30 Jan 05

No have both on mine

USB1 built on motherboard adding a USB PCI Card is and easy way to upgrade to usb2.

Not all devices requre the extra speed of USB2 so have things like modem and mouse on USB1 and external HDD and card reader / camera on USB2

freaky 20:03 30 Jan 05

No problem at all that is why the sell them.

They are for people whose MOB is USB1 so that they can get the greater data transfer rate of USB2.

You will only notice an improvement if the hardware you are using supports USB2, if not then there is no point in purchasing.

If you do buy a USB2 PCI card, then go for one that has the most sockets. This will be cheaper in the long run if you add more USB2 hardware.

Totally-braindead 20:11 30 Jan 05

Have a look at click here for an idea on prices, agree with what the others have said it will cause no problems.

TheGnome 18:16 09 Feb 05

Thanks for the info, everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…