USB 1 and USB 2

Drum 14:06 13 Feb 05

Quick question............
USB 1 has now been superceded by USB 2, which is a lot faster, but are USB 1 and 2 cables the same?

Totally-braindead 14:10 13 Feb 05

Yes

mattyc_92 14:28 13 Feb 05

No they are not the same.... A USB1 cable is made out of a different material, so that means that the cable hasn't got the "best" "conductivity"....

1514 16:12 13 Feb 05

mattyc_92

How do we differentiate?

TomJerry 16:26 13 Feb 05

but, I cannot find any difference in practice

Totally-braindead 16:31 13 Feb 05

I too find no difference, the connections are exactly the same, I've never even heard of a USB 2.0 cable ,I presume mattyc_92 is saying some cables are higher quality made of a better wire.

mattyc_92 17:22 13 Feb 05

Exactly...

USB1 cables and USB2 cables have the same "conectors", but the difference is just the quality of the material used that makes the "difference"...

It is hard to give an example.... but when you but a motherboard, you have some "spare" connectors, which are for you to put a cable to to add USB2 ports to the front of the PC.... Well, say if you used a cable designed for USB1, you wont get the speed of USB2 because of the quality of the cable/material used for the cable...

Hope this makes sense....

Nedward 19:34 13 Feb 05

If coaxial cables are used to make the USB cable then the materials used for the coaxial cable can affect the data-rate. Generally, the larger the diameter of the cable the greater the possible data-rate.

If screened twin-twisted cables are used then the degree of twist and the quality of the screening (that is, whether the screening completely envelopes the twisted pair) can affect the data-rate.

Totally-braindead 21:46 13 Feb 05

I understand all this but I've never heard of USB 2.0 cables at all. I can imagine you get different quality cables which of course would affect data loss etc, but are you telling me that because I use a USB cable which is not marked USB 2.0 that it runs significantly slower? Where can you get USB 2.0 cables how much are they compared with standard USB cables and how much difference does it actually make 5% or more? Has anyone ever seen tests on this sort of thing because I honestly never knew there was such a thing as a USB 2.0 cable?

Totally-braindead 22:01 13 Feb 05

Well apologies to all I'm wrong again, I've just spent the last few minutes looking at cables and have found USB 2.0 cables but I'd still like to know if there is a significant difference, anyone got details of tests or anything, if I saw something which tested the two then I might consider upgrading.

Furthark 22:18 13 Feb 05

If it’s not a stupid question. Where would I find a USB2?
Is it the two USB’s at the front of my computer?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…