//some 3rd party need geo

USB 1 integral card reader to USB2 header?

hssutton 20:36 15 Jun 03

MSI K7N2 M/board running 98se. It appears that I cannot connect my 6 in 1 integral card reader which is USB1 to the one and only USB2 header on the above board. Can anyone confirm this. If my assumption is correct is there anyway around this?.

Many thanks.

LastChip 21:07 15 Jun 03

For the full text, click here

What makes you think you can't?

hssutton 22:13 15 Jun 03

LastChip. Because I just cannot get it to work. if I connect the Reader to the USB2 header the Pc will not boot. when I use the USB port supplied by MSI, this will work when connected to the USB2 header, This port is USB 1/2

LastChip 22:47 15 Jun 03

Have you loaded the USB drivers for the device?

In general terms, with USB, you load the drivers BEFORE connecting the device.

The other thing that strikes me, is that Microsoft do not provide support for USB 2.0 under Windows 98(se), only Win 2K and XP, and I think one variant of NT, therefore, it could very well be a software problem. It may be worth checking the vendors site for any driver up-dates or advice (patches) to overcome the problem.

woodchip 22:53 15 Jun 03

The header for USB 2 on the motherboard is different to a USB 1.1 The pin configuration is different

woodchip 22:55 15 Jun 03

PS it can be done if the are separate connectors but a USB 1.1 is a plug

DieSse 22:57 15 Jun 03

Headers on motherboards have many different pin configurations. You must look up the one on yours, and tie in in with (and if necessary modify) the one on the card reader.

USB1 and USB2 headers are not necessarily different - it's all down to specific motherboard manufacturers how they lay the pins out. I've seen at least 4 different layouts, so it's impossible to generalise.

hssutton 23:04 15 Jun 03

Thanks woodchip thats the conclusion I was arriving at. It would seem my daughters, Fathers Day present will have to go back to the supplier. Unless some can tell me which wire is which and where I can get the seperate connectors from.

woodchip 23:10 15 Jun 03

You can get a USB card Reader that's what I have but rarely use it a jenreader by jenoptix about £20

DieSse 23:52 15 Jun 03

If you look at the plug on the card redaer cable, you will see that with a needle and some careful tweaking, you can lift (ever so slightly) the plastic flap for each individual connector, and slide the connector out of the plug. Then just give the flap a little push back into place.

Now you need to identify the wires - there are likely to be four. Power, Ground, Data+, and Data- Hpoefully the documentation with the reader will have told you which is which.

Then match them up with your motherboard documentation, and push them back inoto the appropriate place in the plastic holder.

I do this a lot for extra USB ports for the back of the case, which never seem to match a motherboard (unless supplied with it!).

hssutton 10:21 16 Jun 03

DieSse Many thanks. the reader pin assignments are a little different from the norm and are labelled 1 SGND, 2 GND, 3 DP, 4 DM, 5 VCC. would you consider DP to be the positive.Pin 9 is blanked off

woodchip. My apologies as I think I may have confused you. When I said "integral" I meant internal to the PC not "Integral" the manufacturer. I have in fact been using a Flash card reader for a couple of years.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…