USA dvd region help

djjw 08:36 20 Jun 08

Hi all,
just need some advice from people who know more about this than me.
Im heading out to America soon and i am planing to buy a laptop out there (it will be cheaper). Trouble is it will come with a USA DVD Region 1 disc drive. I will have no internet access out there so i wont be able to download anything to sort this. So, i was considering buying an external dvd drive (something like a freecom)over here in the UK and taking it with me on the theory that i can just plug that into the usb and use it to watch region 2 dvds?
Will this work ?
thanks
Dale

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:04 20 Jun 08

Region setting
There are actually up to 3 region protections on a system:
- 1 in the DVD drive
- 1 in the Operating System (windows) - More info on Windows region management.
- 1 in the software player (eg. WinDVD, PowerDVD...)

When you flash your drive with a region free firmware (RPC-1), you remove the region counter from the drive itself completely, but with this counter gone, the software counters kick in to replace the one from the DVD drive. This means that you still have these other 2 to defeat!!!.
An alternate region free solution that is available for some drives is known as an "Autoreset" firmware: Instead of removing the counter from the drive completely, the counter simply resets itself to an unlocked state when the computer is restarted. This way, the drive appears as region protected (RPC-2) but the counter can be changed indefinitely. Creating autoreset patches is slightly more difficult for the patcher, but makes the life of the user easier because DVD Genie and Region Killer are not required as they are for RPC-1 firmwares.
On the other hand, it's easy for software manufacturers to detect autoreset firmwares, and if they decide to do so, you will still need a software patch in the long run. This is why RPC-1 firmwares are seen by most as the long term solution.

So, unless a program like DISCInfo click here or Drive Region Info tells you that your drive is still protected or you used an autoreset firmware, your drive IS region free, and any region counters that you still see come from software region settings.

To bypass that, you need to use programs such as DVD Genie click here or DVD Region Killer click here (the later is highly recommanded).

Note: Currently, the only software region free solution when using WinDVD Platinum to play DVD's is WinDVD Tweaker Pro ($18.00 US) click here

ambra4 11:31 20 Jun 08

I live in a Region 1 area and use DVD Region+CSS Free to watch all region DVDs

DVD Region+CSS Free enables you to watch and copy any region-coded/CSS-encrypted DVD movies on any DVD drive!

Supported software DVD player:

PowerDVD 3.0/4.0/XP/5.0, WinDVD 2000/3.0/4.0/Platinum/5.0, ATI DVD Player, CinePlayer 4.0, Sonic CinePlayer 1.5, DirectDVD, NVDVD, Windows Media Player, PCFriendly Player, InterActual Player, TheaterTek DVD and UltraDVD

It fully supports region-protected (RPC2) DVD drives, and does not require any firmware modifications.

It will even work if you have used up your region counter and can no longer change the DVD drive's region.

DVD Region+CSS Free works automatically in the background to make a DVD appear region code free and unprotected to any DVD player and DVD copy software.

DVD Region+CSS Free decrypts not just DVD's, it now allows you also to play, copy and rip protected Audio CD's!

Supports 64-bit Windows XP and Windows Server 2003

click here

FatboySlim71 21:06 20 Jun 08

I thought this topic might be of interest, my post is further down the page.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…