U.S. Windows XP Upgrade. Will It Work In UK?

BAC1-11 00:30 29 Mar 03

I am currently in the US and as the XP Upgrade is about 20 pounds (No pound sign on this PC) cheaper here I am thinking about buying it while I am in the US. Does anbody know if my UK W98 PC will accept a US version Upgrade?

Thanks for you help.

temp003 02:53 29 Mar 03

It will work. I can't think of any reason why it won't.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 09:10 29 Mar 03

I would think so but you may have to dial the US number to activate it not positive on that but might.

Regards.

Andy 999 09:30 29 Mar 03

Yes pc's are not in regions like everything else so it should work fine but as A NICKNAME said you might need to use an american number but go ahead and try it

Eagie 09:36 29 Mar 03

Activation can be carried out online so it shouldn't make a difference where you physically are. Unless you hit a problem, there should be no need for you to actually call Microsoft in any case.

Eagie 09:41 29 Mar 03

I have just looked at my Windows XP Pro upgrade and it comes with a card called "Microsoft Subsidary Information". This gives the addresses and telephone numbers of all their offices (including the UK and USA) so you can send you registration card to them them, so the packages are obviously not country specific.

BAC1-11 00:05 31 Mar 03

Thanks for the reponses.

I didn't think there would be a problem but just wondered if anybody had first hand experience.

The Tech guy in the CompUSA shop the said it should work, but I may have to adjust some settings that I wouldn't normally have to.

Somebody I have just been talking to thinks there may be problem when the upgrade looks for the W98 licence and finds a UK (European?)licence when it is looking for a US licence.

On the box it says for "For distribution in USA & Canada only"

Any more thoughts?

DieSse 00:31 31 Mar 03

If it's any help, I use English XP versions bought from my wholesaler in Spain. They activate quite normally with no problems.

Upgrades don't look for an existing licence - they look for an existing copy (on HDD or CD).

BAC1-11 08:49 28 Jul 03

Well I did the deed and there were no problems.

So far I am well pleased with XP. I particularly liked the way it removed W98 and did a clean install.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…