US keyboard on laptop

Wayneh 20:30 03 Nov 05

Hi there,
we are thinking of getting a new laptop for use at college and have the opportunity to get one with a good spec but it has a US (American)keyboard on it!
How easy are these to change to english if possible or what are the main differences

many thanx
Wayne

PaulB2005 20:35 03 Nov 05

US keyboards are bigger and louder than UK ones.

Seriously though. The differences are minimal. A few characters swap places. Not sure how to change the keys to UK - you could prise a few off and swap them round - at your risk.

You can get stickers to go over the top of the old keys and change the language settings....

Question - why does it have a US keyboard? Are you importing it from the US?

VoG II 20:36 03 Nov 05

There won't be a £ or a € key.

meofcourse03 21:35 03 Nov 05

I have an american keyboard too, i don't have too many problems. You can change the settings for the keyboard and if you are working in a word processing document you can change it from there in options i think. The only difference is that the @ sign is above the 2 and possibly your pound sign might be in a different place but you can find the symbol you need in the drop down menu options. You might need your origianl disc to amend settings but i would'nt bother too much. Its annoying at first especially when you type in am email address and the @ is else where. good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…