US & UK voltages - Charger/Plugs

  travel39 22:42 06 Dec 11

I will shortky be receiving a Samsung Galaxy 7" Tab Plus tablet (bought in the US) When I contacted Samsung UK, they said I will need a voltage converter to step the voltage down from 240 to 120. I previously thought that all charger/plug units will accept voltages from 100 to 240 volts. Is this correc? I have a cheap basic LG mobile which I bought in the States and the charger for that works fine on 240 UK mains, due to being a world universal charger/plug. Can you please advise. Thank you.

Kind regards

Brian Scott

  robin_x 22:49 06 Dec 11

I suspect you are right and Samsung will be wrong.

It will be printed on the label on the charger. That's a worldwide legal requirement. Have a look when it arrives.

If it is multi-standard, get an adaptor from local shop. Don't try to force US pins in our sockets, they are a different pitch.

  robin_x 22:52 06 Dec 11

Or cut the end off and fit a plug.

  travel39 23:20 06 Dec 11

Thanks for the reply Robin.I feel that I'm right about the fact that most charger/plugs are made to world wide standards which logically means they're ok to operate over a range of 100 to 240 volts. However, I'll do the sensible thing and make a point of double checking the label on the charger/plug when I get it. I suspect that all will be ok,although I'm a bit surp;rised by Samsungs advice which I didn't feel was right. Hence my query. Thank you.

Brian Scott

  Woolwell 23:20 06 Dec 11

An adaptor is fairly straightforward and the pins will be available if you go back to the USA. Most supermarkets stock travel adaptors.

  mehim 03:36 07 Dec 11

looking at the accesories page samsung it seems that it is a standard usb connection to the plug. The USB adaptors are fairly cheap but this onethe skross 2 usb adaptor/travel plug covers everywhere and I find it extremely useful well worth £20

  morddwyd 07:22 07 Dec 11

"it seems that it is a standard usb connection"

Beware! It isn't.

The 7 inch has a special Samsung connector, a source of great annoyance.

"That's a worldwide legal requirement. Have a look when it arrives."

I think you'll find that only applies to mobile phones, and manufacturers can go their own way with tablets, though most do use the standard micro-usb.

  mehim 13:07 07 Dec 11


not owning one I was just looking at the travel adaptor Samsung show on their accessory page. Click here samsung tab 7 then accssories tab, then #04. It shows a USB lead to the adaptor, not worried about the other (tablet) end as this thread is about the converter. I hope I am correct as it will save travel39 a lot of hassle.


This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Honor 5X review: Hands-on with the new budget phone from Hauwei's young brand

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

You can now publish data visualisations to the web from Power BI

Complete guide to Apple's campus 2, everything we know about the new spaceship HQ, plus: new drone…