URL Errors

Inverjazz 10:16 12 Jul 03

Two of my favourite websites have been unavailble on my desktop for the last month or so. The first one returns a "No website is configured at this address" message, while the other displays a completely different site altogether. Both are OK from my laptop.
I've reinstalled Win98 SE and also my ISP software but it made no difference. It looks like the dreaded reformat and complete reinstallation from scratch, or is there something else I could try? Maybe it's time to eventually go for Windows XP.

VoG II 10:24 12 Jul 03

Do a search for a file called HOSTS (just hosts, no file extension). If you find it, open it in NotePad and see if it contains a list of IP addresses. If so try renaming it to something else and see what happens.

Info on the hosts file click here

Inverjazz 08:15 13 Jul 03

This is completely new to me. The first thing I did was disable HOSTS completely and this helped, but it'll take some more studying to restore things to what they were.
Many thanks for your advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…