URGERNT transfer data from one computer to another

noob17 09:09 28 Dec 05

I have recently purchased a new computer running on windows xp mce. The old computer wont startup but it is also running on windows xp. I took the old pc to a repair shop and they told me that the motherboard has gone but all my data is in tact. how do i transfer the old data to my new pc without physically transferring the hard drive???? This is an urgent issue.

Thanx for all the help.

Taff™ 09:12 28 Dec 05

Don`t think you can. You have to put the old HDD in another computer to access it at all. Why can`t you just "slave" the old drive temporarily to get all your data?

noob17 09:16 28 Dec 05

There must be a way iv been readin about these cat 5 cables and usb cables to transfer data. The computer does startup but it doesnt get the windows xp so will that help??

I dont want to void the warrenty on my pc

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:18 28 Dec 05

The easiest way to do this without opening the computer is to buy an external caddy for the drive. Put the drive in the caddy, attach USB lead and your computer will see the drive. You can then transfer all your files and as a bonus you will have an external drive for around £22. I'm sure someone will post up purchase details of caddies.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:18 28 Dec 05

ps...this will NOT void your warranty.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:19 28 Dec 05
  noob17 09:24 28 Dec 05

Can you dive me more information on these caddies and maybe where i can get one from???

Thnx

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:31 28 Dec 05
  mgmcc 09:41 28 Dec 05

Maplins do a "USB 2.0 to IDE Adapter" that will let you connect a hard drive directly to one of the PC's USB ports - click here

...mind you, Gandalf's eBay offerings are somewhat cheaper ;-)

old_git 09:49 28 Dec 05

Slightly cheaper click here

noob17 10:11 28 Dec 05

are there any retail shops where i can go and just buy this cable instead of getin it over the net???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…