URGENT:Monitor troubles on my laptop

Spirit Of Nightmare 2003 13:11 25 Mar 03

the screen on my laptop does not display anything and remains black i tried an external monitor and it works fine i was wondering if anyone had any ideas. i thought maybe a setting in windows? please get in touch if you have any idea's.

Thanks ;-)

graham 13:37 25 Mar 03

Sounds like the light tube has gone, don't think you can mend those but stick around for the professionals!

Spirit Of Nightmare 2003 15:52 25 Mar 03

you say it cant be mended? so have i got to go buy a whole new laptop?

Spirit Of Nightmare 2003 15:59 25 Mar 03

after hearing this rather dissapointing news i was wondering how heavy a flat panel display is could i carry one of these around with me aswell as the laptop?

Belatucadrus 17:02 25 Mar 03

Have you tried adjusting the brightness & contrast, my laptop has on occasion lost the settings and the screen appears black, but can be brought back with a bit of judicious fiddling.

Alex B 17:42 25 Mar 03

sometimes on the laptops F keys ie f4/f5 there is a monitor symbol if you press ctrl and this you may get your screen back. i have to do that with mine when using a powerpoint projector

graham 18:14 25 Mar 03

Don't despair just yet, the evening shift is coming on. In the meantime, could you ascertain which kind of screen you have, Backlit, Passive-Matrix or Active-Matrix. If not, the make and model. As the above suggestions, see if there is an external brightness control. You shouldn't need a new laptop, at the worst a new screen.

spikeychris 18:20 25 Mar 03
  graham 18:04 26 Mar 03

It may not have a light tube.

BlueMeanie 21:15 26 Mar 03

Hi

Like Alex B says you could have activated the external monitor only option (I have impressed colleagues when I have "mended" their laptop within seconds).

Look for a picture of a screen on one of the top F - Function keys. Using Control or another key ie Fn (bottom left on a Toshiba) can activate the key.

Regards

Happy1 23:13 26 Mar 03

I use a Samsung and F3 is the LCD/CRT in Green also F4 for standby. Fn key is also bottom left. I often knock off screen by accident. when looking elsewhere when typing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…