Urgent: Windows 98 Laptop, goes off or restarts...

Gaz 25 20:19 17 Jun 03

I have just decided to get my old laptop out, didnt work too good so I wiped it.

The spec: 500MHz (I know quite old)
512Mb RAM
6.38Gb HDD
Windows 98 SE

Anyway, all went well, untill, I came to install Office 2000, then it crashed, so I retried and it worked. After that Norton Utillities went on followed by Norton Internet Security 2002.

However, it sometimes just for no reason goes off till only the power light and fan are left on, everything else went off including the screen. I set the power scheme to always on, but no difference.

Also had fatal exception a few minutes ago.

Any ideas what could be behind all this?

graham√ 20:24 17 Jun 03

Oh dear! Gazzas 'urgent' is back!

Valvegrid 20:26 17 Jun 03

Hi Gareth,
I'm no expert on Laptops, but I loaded 98SE onto a work colleagues and I seem to remember there were some power settings in the Bios, just a thought.

Good luck

Gaz 25 20:26 17 Jun 03

It is because I want help as fast as possible or I will go out of my mind of what to do with it,

It is maybe too old anyway, but please help.

Ok, I am a bit overreactive but I do need help.

Also getting into the thing is a difficult one.

Gaz 25 20:34 17 Jun 03

The power settings are fine in the bios too, also I am using the system when it happens.

Gaz 25 20:42 17 Jun 03

Umm, wonder if the Mobo is faulty or HDD?

Valvegrid 20:45 17 Jun 03

You have done a scandisk, have you?

Gaz 25 20:47 17 Jun 03

Yes, no errors, and Norton Utillities finds no problems too.

Gaz 25 20:49 17 Jun 03

Just wondering if Norton Utillities and Internet Security are causing it?

Valvegrid 20:56 17 Jun 03

One way of tyring it, take 'em off and see what happens...................sorry just thinking, I notice you say got your old laptop out, how long has it been lying around? The point I'm making is is the battery OK? I know you say the power light is on and the fan works, but is there enough juice in the battery?

Gaz 25 21:31 17 Jun 03

It is plugged in. I have just removed nortons products with the same happening. Odd.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…