URGENT Is this a virus or a hoax?

zaach 10:06 01 Mar 03

I have just received from an acquantance two copies of an email with the subject "Fw: PLEEEEEASE READ!!!! It was on the news!
This email has an enormous addressee list and looks entirely like a form of pyramid letter, as usual saying (inter alia) that Bill Gates is giving money away.
If my friend has just succumbed to a hoax well and good but if this is a mailing virus which has slipped through my defences I am naturally very alarmed.
All comments welcome please!

Tj_El 10:11 01 Mar 03

If your AV is up to date you should have no fear of a virus slipping through.

I have recieved this type of email before and I just deleted it. I suggest you do likewise.

Best
Tj_El

Andÿ 10:12 01 Mar 03

click here

It's a hoax to fool the greedy :o) There is no free lunch :o)

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:12 01 Mar 03

Hoax......obviously, not a virus.

G

zaach 10:18 01 Mar 03

That it is a hoax was my reaction but it has aready duped a large number of people and I had fears that it was omne of those "mail everybody in the address list" viruses.

Forum Editor 11:06 01 Mar 03

"Mail everyone on your address list" emails are not viruses - they are hoaxes, and this is one of them.

In general terms it's worth confirming a couple of tips about hoax emails:-

1. Anything that asks you to pass a virus warning on to everyone in your address book is always - without exception - a hoax, and you should delete it without taking any action at all. Do this, even if it comes to you from a friend, or known business contact.They are simply extending the life of the hoax by sending it to you; don't add to the problem by passing it on.

2. Companies like Microsoft, McAfee, Norton et al, and institutions like NASA, The Pentagon, Universities, Medical institutions etc. will never - ever issue warnings about viruses via email circulars, with instructions to "pass it on".

stealthdevil 12:06 01 Mar 03

I got that e-mail like a year ago. I contacted Microsoft and they told me its a hoax thats actually been around for years now. They told me just to ignore it and delete it.

zaach 17:50 01 Mar 03

I had already deleted it and emailed the sender to ask why he sent it but it is nice to have actions justified.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…