Urgent virus help needed

JoeClarke 18:20 13 May 07

Hello,

I need a lot of help fairly urgently.

I have 2 error messages which appear on windows startup as soon as windows loads which say the following:
"Windows could not find 'C:\windows\system32\wincfgs.exe'. make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again. To search for a file click the start button and then click search."
"Desktop : Could not load or run 'C:\Windows\system32\wincfgs.exe' specified in the registry. Make sure the file exists on your computer or remove the referecnce to it in the registry."

From searching google I believe the problem started due to a virus/worm? froma p2p program (in this case morpheus). I noticed morpheus refused to close and would reopen with 20secs of being closed. I then realised that my task manager would not appear (nothing happens) when I pressed ctrl/alt/del. Things have become progressively worse since then.

I now can not access the net after the pc has been on for a short amount of time ( 5 mins), most programs wont load, task mngr still wont open and the pc wont restart or turn off (needs to be unplugged manually).

I have run spybot and ad-aware and removed/fixed any problems they found. I have also deleted morpheus fully from the system.

I tried following a guide i found on different forums which suggested locating and deleting a file named b.exe as the first step (using system mechanic 7 Incinerator). I did this step but was unable to follow the 2nd step as an icon which was supposed to appear in my start>All programs>Startup menu did not appear. The file was supposed to be called scvhost.exe (but it is not the system32 "offical" file).

I have Hijackthis! on here but do not know what to look for in the logs.

Any advice/guidance/help would be greatly appreciated as I am at a loss and my pc is basically unusable.

Thankyou.

Joe.

Ps. I have no idea where to go next? Hijackthis logfile, a full reformat?. Are there any good free antivirus i could try (avg wont work for some reason)

Michael_R 18:50 13 May 07

Hi sorry I can't help, but these two sites may have tools. I have them bookemarked them from previous helproom members. click here
click here

hope you have some luck.

skidzy 19:15 13 May 07

First piece of advice:

Do Not Tinker with the HJT logs.

Run HJT and post the log click here here you will receive expert help and looks like you may need it.

Please be patient,you will need to register.

You could try something from click here
in safemode,but your best bet is follow the HJT route and post your scan at Malwareremoval.

p;3 20:14 13 May 07

please also note the contents of this thread

click here on that forum;

as Skidzy says it is very unwise and can prove extremely harmful to your computer to tinker with ANY line in a log unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing; get registered over there and let a uni member sort you out::))

and as you have been dabbling in p2p stuff a good health check is a stgrogn suggestion ;

if you would let us know uunder which name you register we can follow your progress ; happy cleaning ::))

JoeClarke 22:40 13 May 07

Thanks for the quick replies. Much appreciated.

Usually manage to sort minor problems out myself but seem to be some what screwed this time :)

Off to do the hijackthis! malarky. We shall see....

p;3 23:36 13 May 07

now sit tight and await a helper to get to you ::)))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…