Urgent! Please help!

Logov 22:22 04 Dec 03

I've managed to access this connection via the task manager as the problem is after a reboot all I can see is the desktop wallpaper. All my icons as well as the task bar and start menu have disappeared. Left or right clicking has absolutely no effect. Rebooting in Safe Mode is exactly the same.

I have absolutely no idea how this has happened but I'm sure I'm the cause (I Hope) so I'm hoping it can be easily rectified. Otherwise, I fear something more sinister like a virus.

I'll be remaining on this page until I can rectify the problem with someone's kind help.

DAG88 22:23 04 Dec 03

What Windows are you using?

canard 22:26 04 Dec 03

click here For a free online scan. it may not deal with trojans but is good for everything else.

Logov 22:38 04 Dec 03

Sorry should have mentioned this before, I'm on XP but unfortunately (in case you are about to suggest this) I have had System Restore turned off.

Fateful Shadow 22:39 04 Dec 03

That sounds familiar to a thing that I had once. Do any errors appear as you log on? I'll try to search out a posting that may be relevent to the problem if you do get errors.

Fateful Shadow 22:44 04 Dec 03

Take a look here... click here

This might hold an answer to your problem, or it could be completely useless!

Hope this helps anyway :)

Logov 22:47 04 Dec 03

No error messages. Just a blank screen after what appears to be a successful boot.

In my hast I also forgot to mention that I have Mcafee virus scan which picked up nothing, so I suppose there could be a Trojan at work that it hasn't picked up. But saying that it has picked up 1 or 2 in the past week one called "muut.exe" and another called "dust.exe" both of which I believe I got rid of, hence the system restore being turned off.

VoG II 22:51 04 Dec 03

Boot from the XP CD

Let the Setup go through the first part of the Installation procedure.

When you come to the screen in which it says "Welcome to Setup." press Enter to Setup Windows XP.

Press F8 to agree to the End User License.

Let the Setup search your system for previous versions of Windows.

When the Setup is finished searching your system, select your Windows XP Installation and press the R key on your keyboard to start the Repair Procedure.

Setup will delete all major system files and then replace them with new copies.

You will have to download all of the updates from Microsoft Windows Update again because it replaces the files.

Logov 22:59 04 Dec 03

That's worth a go VoG but before I do, I've just managed to get through to the control panel and the "Taskbar and Start Menu" icon refuses to open. Is there any reason why this should be?

VoG II 23:02 04 Dec 03

It seems to me that you havea corrupted installation and I suggest that you follow the instructions above.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…