Urgent help!!! XP pro repair

P_Ghost5 09:30 17 Apr 04

Hi there
Got a huge problem. xp pro note book was infected with welchia and blaster. removed both using removal tools. loaded NAV 2004, then it would not enable, also machine was then dead slow.
Used all removal etc for norton but did not work.
I then treid to run a repair on xp pro. Here it goes until "installing devices" 35mins and that is where it stays. There is important data on this machine.... please please please help??
maybe some kind of restore program or something to get rid of installation loop....-
;-(

mrdsgs 09:47 17 Apr 04

can you boot into xp safe mode and then do a system restore to before the problems started?

failing that it sounds like you need to reinstall xp over the top of your current installation

mrdsgs

P_Ghost5 10:12 17 Apr 04

Tried safe mode but it just wants to restart and load setup.

you mean actually a fresh install without format?
Would that affect any installed programs... i think it would

mrdsgs 10:25 17 Apr 04

in theory it would not affect any installed programmes, but no promises.

it should leave data files intact.

mrdsgs

P_Ghost5 10:33 17 Apr 04

oh well lets hope hey....
thanx for the help, will post if i can't come right. any ideas from anybody with regards to any kind of "dos" recovery software etc would be greatly appreciated

Stuartli 13:13 17 Apr 04

Have you actually tried a System Restore from a date when you knew the system was running correctly?

If not go to Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore and use a date that's appropriate.

Your remarks about "repairing" XP is puzzling, whilst a fresh install shouldn't really be necessary if Stytem Restore works as it should.

That's what it's there for, along with Help and Support...:-)

P_Ghost5 09:25 18 Apr 04

heheheh yup.
I did actually but with the viruses and corrupt os, symantec recommended a refresh/repair of the os. But alas that is where the sad story started.
uhm the whole "repair" is through booting off xp cd, when it searches for previous etc etc.
thanx

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…