Urgent Help required for my sisters dell 4150

julius44 21:17 01 Jul 09

Hello my younger sis woz sold a Dell Inspiron 4150 laptop about 18months ago for a second hand price of £100 by a work colleague. this is the laptop.....click here
Shes not really pc savvy and shes been using it ok for awhile now until last week, when she's decided to mess around with some settings and we now desperatly need to get it sorted....she seems to have inserted a password onto it somehow. A screen comes up and says the exact following:
This computer system, #54XMOJ-595B, is protected by a password authentication system. You cannot access the data on this pc without the correct password. Please type in the primary or Administrator password and press enter.

Okay we then enter the password, it then says:
wait..........
checking........

And the following message comes up,.....The device in the system modular bay cannot be identified. It may not be completely inserted or may have some other problem. Please read and complete the following steps in order:
1. Press the device completely and firmly into the bay
2. Press the escape key and wait for the system to power down
3. Press the power button to retry the defective device.

We have tried all these things but the system just swithces off, and we just turn it back on. My sisster does not have money to buy a new laptop, but she needs to get the laptop working, for internet, as she has a young child with her. All the photos of her child are on cds and a usb drive so thats ok....we just need to get the laptop working again....i dont mind restoring to factory settings....i think its shift f11, but nothing happens

Any assistance would be much appreciated asap..thanks..help!!!!!

MAT ALAN 21:22 01 Jul 09

Don't think its password related it is either your optical drive or HDD that may be faulty, or the cables for one or the other has somehow come loose

lotvic 21:54 01 Jul 09

Dell Inspiron 4150
Here is the manual click here to download or online.
about the module bay page 38 of owners manual
"About the Module Bay
You can install optional devices such as a floppy drive, CD drive, CD-RW
drive, DVD drive, DVD/CD-RW drive, second hard drive, or second battery
in the module bay.
NOTICE: To prevent damage to the docking connector, do not remove or
replace devices while the computer is connected to a docking device."

Graphicool1 08:51 02 Jul 09
  ^wave^ 08:56 02 Jul 09

this looks like an encrypted hard drive that needs a password now as it has been working then you must find out what has been done to it. also ask the previous owner if he had it encrypted and what was the password

julius44 12:42 02 Jul 09

She has finally managed to get back onto the laptop....but shes now gonna leave it plugged on, cos it took her a while to log back onto the laptop....also internet explorer does not seem to work on it so shes using firefox. I'm looking arounf for a cheap second hand laptop for her....nothing flashy at all..any links pls send to me thanks

woodchip 13:06 02 Jul 09

What happens if you keep tapping F5 or F8 when it starts? will it let you into Safe Mode.

PS Laptops do not have Drive cables

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5