Urgent Help Please

ened 09:09 24 Oct 04

I have downloaded an .AVI file which will not Delete and appears to be running ctfmon.exe.
I have tried disabling all StartUp items and ending all processes. All to no avail.
How can I get XP to remove this file.
I am sure it is not good so I am going to shut down for half an hour by which time I hope one of you whizz kids will be able to suggest a way of removing it.

Diodorus Siculus 09:30 24 Oct 04

Can you start in safe mode and delete it?

Otherwise, while in safe mode, try renaming the file - change the extension to something like txt or old.

ened 10:14 24 Oct 04

Started in Safe Mode - same result: It would not delete and would not allow me to change the name.
Any more suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

VoG II 10:22 24 Oct 04
  Graham ® 10:23 24 Oct 04

Some info from MS:

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:27 24 Oct 04

is a part of the Microsoft Office suite. It activiates the Alternative User Input Text Input Processor (TIP) and the Microsoft Office XP Language Bar. This program is a non-essential system process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems

Stop all office apllications including office startup inthe startup menu.

This should then mean cftmon stops also the avi file running it, then you should beable to delete the avi file.

ened 10:51 24 Oct 04

I will keep trying but when I click on Download the page is unavailable.
In the meantime I have tried to use Safe Mode with the Command Prompt.
I am not too familiar with Dos and cannot get past the initial Directory tree.
The file is in a download file in My Documents and I have XP Pro with NTFS.
Can I still find it using the C prompt: if so how ?
Fruit Bat /\0/\ I have tried what you suggested - I was only guessing about the ctfmon because when I tried to shut down it had to shut that down first.

VoG II 10:54 24 Oct 04

Remove on Reboot Shell Extension alternative download click here

Or Google for it.

ened 11:41 24 Oct 04

is going on here.
Following the advice of VoG™ I 'Googled for it' but every single download site comes back with 'Page Not Available'.I am just going to try to download something else to see if I can.

ened 12:03 24 Oct 04

I have sorted it out (Although I still can't work out why I was unable to download the Shell Extension )and, thanks to following all your advice I eventually found click here.
I followed the advice from 'Elvandil' and removed the file.
System Restore then restored the relevant 'Default value'.
A lesson learnt - thanks once again

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:07 24 Oct 04

Dos

C:\Documents and Settings\yourlogonname\My Documents\delete filename.AVI

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…