URGENT help needed

Thomo1 19:42 24 Nov 04

Ive just tried to system restore my computer becuz certain things were odd since installing a certain software.

Problem is though i had a power surge when it was in process of restroing and the compute restarted.

Now windows will not load up. It boots up and gets to the Windows screen where windows xp and the loading bar shows then it just goes black and will not proceed to my desktop screen!

I now get options when i try and re-boot that they are sorry for any inconvienience caused but windows couldnt start or end properly and gives me 4 options.

safe mode, safe mode with command, start normally, or start using last working settings.
Whenever i choose last working settings the system still will not load up and just goes blank afetr the windows kp loading screen and loading up my desktop.

Please help.

Thanks

woodchip 19:49 24 Nov 04

Start computer and keep pressing F8. choose last known good configuration

Thomo1 19:50 24 Nov 04

have done m8 and still a blank screen. left it now gunna check it in 10 mins but was balnk when left and was blank for a good 5 mins.

Diodorus Siculus 19:56 24 Nov 04

Can you get the "VGA mode" option in the F8 list?

It sounds as if perhaps the graphics drivers were corrupted.

Carpigiani 19:56 24 Nov 04

Can you get into safe mode by choosing it from the options given in your first post?
If so go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore and Restore my computer to an earlisr time.

Carpigiani 19:56 24 Nov 04

Can you get into safe mode by choosing it from the options given in your first post?
If so go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore and Restore my computer to an earlier time.

Kegger 20:00 24 Nov 04

Hi,
do you have a a windows Xp CD rom? if so:- Boot from the cd-rom do an install but ignore the first Repair option (i.e. console) and continue to Install.
The installation process should recognise as it progresses that XP is already installed and provide the choice of a 'Repair', from there it will rebuild you to a stable enviroment, it does take a while though

Thomo1 20:00 24 Nov 04

only 4 options were the ones listed above m8!!!

it starts off with windows would like to apologise for any inconvenience, then goes on to say that if it was a power cut choose this optin then goes on if the restart button was in advettantly pressed choose this option but when i choose the last good known configoration option, it passes the loading screen, then passes the windows xp loading screen and instead of going to the desktop it stays blank and only the little white arrow shows.
The screen is still blank after about 20 mins, but the little red light on the harddrive case is flashing so summat must be working!!

Thomo1 20:03 24 Nov 04

kegger - no disk im afraid m8.

carp - i pressed safe mode 1st and a list of files kept running through and down the screen. i pressed restart cuz i didnt no what it was doing, so dont know if it will restart like that.

im at on a m8s compute at them min so im away from my cpu!

Carpigiani 20:06 24 Nov 04

You will get a list scrolling down your screen for a short while when starting in safe mode.
Don't panic, give it a chance, if you can get into Safe Mode then a repair could be quite easy.

woodchip 20:07 24 Nov 04

Leave it and go have a cuppa

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…