Urgent Compaq restore help needed

Dirk Diggler 19:40 05 Sep 07

Following a relative been given a second-hand Compaq PC (1.6GHz, 256MB RAM) that was running very slowly and still had files/details from the previous owner, I decided to do a full reinstall using the Compaq discs supplied.

Gone through the restore process no problems and got to the Windows XP set-up process all going along fine (entered Computer Name, Internet Connection Method etc) then got to the screen that asks "Who will use this computer?" and entered the main user account, clicked Next and then the system freezes!!

Have gone through this process three times now and it will not get past this stage!!

Obviously, without being able to get past this I basically have redundant PC!!

Can someone please suggest what could be the problem and how to rectify it as I really dont want to have to give the bad news to the in-laws!! lol

TIA

sp21 19:53 05 Sep 07

Have you reformatted the hard drive, I recently tried to reinstall XP, which would not work until I had done that.
Steve

Dirk Diggler 19:59 05 Sep 07

I think the the first part of the restore process will have done that

The first of the four restore discs says erasing all data and partitioning hard drive so I presume it will format at the same time?

Given that I am now stuck half way through the set-up process is there any way I can either get back to a stage where I can reformat the hard drive and if I did the would the Compaq restore discs still work?

Thanks

Dirk Diggler 20:38 05 Sep 07

Whilst it was stuck at the screen mentioned I decided just to do a hard-reboot (thought it cant do any harm) and when it restarted - all went through fine - SORTED!! (Strange or what lol)

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac