UPS tracking service

jack 10:22 13 Aug 08

In todays opening batch of mail -48 of them of which only one was meaning full- was one from
UPS tracking services- and the following message
-------------
'Unfortunately we were not able to deliver postal package you sent on July the 25 in time
because the recipient’s address is not correct.
Please print out the invoice copy attached and collect the package at our office.Your UPS'
-------------
Then quoting a tracking number and with it an attachment.

As I am not aware of such a parcel I wondered is it a scam?
I would like to hear from you all before taking it further

Stuartli 10:24 13 Aug 08

It's a scam.

jack 10:42 13 Aug 08

I suspected it was.

Batch 13:05 13 Aug 08

I think you'll find that it is more than a scam - it is a Trojan. My AV software (avast) detected it as such as it arrived.

jack 13:39 13 Aug 08

As neither the message or the attachment was opened but only viewed in the preview window.
Is it likely to have gone further?

Drum 15:57 13 Aug 08

As long as you haven't opened the attachment you'll be fine. My ISP Plus Net listed it some weeks ago as a warning.

Stuartli 18:28 13 Aug 08

I get quite a few of these UPS e-mails and I also have Avast!

Avast! is very quick off the mark if anything nasty arrives, but so far it has not done so in the case of these e-mails.

I just Delete anything that I don't recognise or is suspicious.

One main point, however, is to ensure that the Preview Pane in Outlook Express is PERMANENTLY disabled, thus preventing the escape of any nasties merely by clicking on an e-mail.

It's still possible to read the e-mail's source and message if required via its Properties after highlighting it; once this has been done you can keep Cancelling and then use the normal Delete button. Do it again in Deleted Items to make sure it's gone...:-)

Batch 10:31 14 Aug 08

I so rarely receive anything suspicious (must lead a sheltered life) that it was quite a surprise what the Avast warning dialogue popped up.

Switch to Avast when AVG8 came out as not only did it slow the machine down, but also caused it to crash (instantaneous reboot stylie) most times whilst doing a full scan.

I agree about the preview pane etc. This is accepted good practice.

Stuartli 11:12 14 Aug 08

Avast! warnings come about once every six months in my case...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017