UPS 'can I turn it off'

Sethhaniel 12:54 11 May 04

As I am going on holiday for a fortnight I want to turn of all computer & printer etc,. I have an external UPS in line for the computer - can I turn this off - then in two weeks just turn everything back on - or does UPS need disconnecting and recharged after the two weeks?

(XP home - 2600 Celeron - 256 ram)

RevHed 13:06 11 May 04

There should be no ill effects by turning off your UPS. I do this every night. The batteries should not run down. I have had a UPS lying around for a couple of months disconnected and then started to use it whithout any problems.

Diemmess 17:11 11 May 04

Switch off the UPS at its mains socket and pull any power plugs out of it.
That way there is nothing available for the UPS and no possibility of any computer related circuit becoming live from the battery supply.

The battery may be a smidgin down on return, but if still young and healthy you'll never notice the difference and it will quickly top itself up to normal standby level

Sethhaniel 08:21 12 May 04

Sethhaniel 12:46 03 Jun 04

switched on unit at mains and 1am in morning everything came to life - the computer -scanner -printer - and room was lit up like christmas tree
- powered down and UPS continued charging/orange light flashing - but in morniong back on steady green and no ill effects

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…