UPS advice

sam1981 11:04 01 May 03

I am looking to buy a UPS to supply backup power to 2 machines. They are just standard desktops - no massive power is needed - but I'd like to know which UPS would be best for my needs?

I've been looking at the APC Smart UPS 420VA (click here) and the 620VA (click here).

Would these be ok to use with my two machines?

recap 11:11 01 May 03

Sorry sam1981, but I cannot get a page from either of your links.

As for advice on APC Smart products we have been using them for a couple of years now and have had no problems with either of them. We use the Smart-UPS 700 model for our networks.

sam1981 11:16 01 May 03

Question is really about the power issue. Would either of the above models (or the 700 model) be ok with 2 desktop PCs? Do I need something more powerful, or will they do?

recap 11:29 01 May 03

click here sam1981 for full specs of UPS's for workstations. Their site will guide you to the best solution for your set up.

rosblot 11:32 01 May 03

Hi Sam
I'm not familiar with either of the UPS you mention but it does matter.
What matters is the power/time factor of your requirements. Add the total wattage of your equipment, check the total against the ampage of the battery in the UPS the result will give you the time the battery will support you equipment in a power failure.
If it supports your equipment long enough for you to secure it, then it will suffice.

sam1981 12:24 01 May 03

OK, thanks people.

Basically just looking for something to protect from quick surges and cuts, so have gone for the 620.

Cheers,
Sam

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…