UPS

Woolwell 20:02 16 Jun 06

Just had 2 powercuts which has concentrated the mind about UPS which I haven't got.
I have a surge protector for the main items. But I have 9 pieces of equipment to connect.
Tower - AMD 4200 X2
19" TFT
Speakers
Scanner
Printer
PDA Cradle
Zip Drive
Powered USB Hub
Wireless Modem/Router

As I understand it is not a good idea to connect a surge protector to a UPS. Can you connect a UPS to a strip socket?
I have seen the Belkin UPS F6c100ukUNV from Misco at what seems a good price.
click here
But is it sufficient and what sort of configuration should I go for bearing in mind that I have only 2 wall power sockets anywhere near the PC.

octal 20:31 16 Jun 06

UPS units are well protected anyway without the need for adding surge protected sockets, so just use an ordinary socket strip.

ade.h 20:40 16 Jun 06

Watch your amps. Putting that many devices through one UPS may cause loading problems (check the technical data sheet). The UPS is designed to keep core components (tower and monitor) powered long enough for you to save work, close apps and shut down the PC, or for PM to trigger hibernation when the battery drops to a predetermined level. I use one on each desktop with a seperate 4-way surge for other devices.

wiz-king 20:43 16 Jun 06

But you cannot run a laser printer on the UPS, the current is too high. Most UPSs will run a computer and its accessories for a 10 min or more, most also come with software that can automatically shut down the PC safely after a set time without mains. Some UPSs also contain surge protectors for the telephone line - a common cause of problems with nearby lightning strikes! Yes you can connect a strip socket to a UPS and a surge protector should not make any differance. Just keep an eye on the total load, add all of them together, the PC will be the highest at about 400W.If your load is near to 1000w get a biger UPS. I use an IBM Pro UPS to backup most of my stuff PC, USB hub, modem, 17" lcd monitor, speakers, scanner and an old HP inkjet but not the laser printer and thats a 700W unit and it copes with short power cuts.

ade.h 20:44 16 Jun 06

Couple more tips:

Don't bother installing the shutdown software - just use a USB cable and PM will be able to enable unnatended hibernation at a battery level that you choose.

Don't expect the claimed 70mins - 10 to 30 depending on equipment is nearer the mark. CRTs use more power, as do powerful high-spec PCs.

Woolwell 22:15 16 Jun 06

If I have this correct the UPS can protect the Tower, TFT Monitor, Modem/Router and I can put the rest through a separate surge protector.
The monitor is using 52W. So the Belkin should be ok without the other components which actually won't hurt if power is cut off.

woodchip 22:23 16 Jun 06

All the above depends on what size UPS you get, You can run what you want providing you pay's the money. They make em in all sizes that can run for a lot longer than ten minutes

VoG II 22:23 16 Jun 06

You have just described my set-up perfectly - and it works but yet to be tested 'in anger'.

Personally I would install the software (I have) to ensure a safer shutdown if a catastrophe strikes in your absence.

woodchip 22:26 16 Jun 06

UPS is basicaly an Inverter that's run from a big battery. You could make your own big one up, include a big car Charger

ade.h 22:31 16 Jun 06

You DO NOT need the software. Mine have been tested in anger more than once and the PCs respond to the falling battery level by initiating hibernation, as they have been configured to do in the PM settings.

I use one of these click here and one of these click here. They give about 35 and 15 minutes respectively, with different specs.

VoG II 22:34 16 Jun 06

They cost about 100 quid. Hardly worth making your own up surely? Just coughed up £53 for daughter's Clio battery.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…