UPS

geedad 21:59 24 Dec 05

Anyone know of a reliable Uninterruptable Power Supply supplier? It's for a domestic Windows XP system.
ANY advice would be appreciated - my son has just lost all of his data because of a power failure in his area, the consequence of which all of his data was lost and cost a fortune to get it back!
geedad

ton 22:05 24 Dec 05

"ANY advice would be appreciated" -- the easiest and cheapest way is to have/make a backup of anything important.

geedad 22:38 24 Dec 05

Thanks,ton.
Good advice.
However, I was surprised to learn my son lost his data and system when his supply was interrupted. I have 2 very mouse clicking grandsons who constantly give me reason to switch off my computer when they freeze it up by trying to play six motor racing games at once!
I just re-boot and all is well!
geedad

bretsky 22:54 24 Dec 05

I have Win XP home ed sp1 and have had this click here ups for the last couple of years, excellent value for money and easy to install, tech support are very good and quick to respond to any query you have.

Support is based in Ireland and because I was on dial up at the time, they shipped over to me the latest CD rom software upgrade which was a 65Mb download, which is nothing if on B/B (which I wasn't then) all at no cost which all in all, took 3 emails and 4 days later.

I seem to recall you can get APC prods in PC World now.

bretsky ;0)

geedad 21:27 28 Dec 05

ton and bretsky.
Many thanks.
Good info!!
geedad

ade.h 22:01 28 Dec 05

A UPS should be standard equipment. I've used one for years, and it has saved a few hard-disks in that time. My father discovered that to his cost when the briefest of power cuts rendered a pair of disks unbootable. That the data was recoverable through a slave connection was fortunate, but the cost of two new disks would have been avoided with a UPS.

I use Belkin Universal 1200s by the way. The go for about £120.

CurlyWhirly 00:50 29 Dec 05

I use a APC UPS and it has so far saved me from one power cut and one brownout over the last 18 months so IMHO it is very handy and not too expensive either at only around £50!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…