uprading from win98se to winxp

daisy2bell 13:41 17 Feb 04

I've had win98se on my computer since new, and am thinking of installing xp.
If I do so, what about all the programmes that came with my win98se reload disk. Are they still accessable or do I have to install new items

LastChip 13:52 17 Feb 04

The first thing to do is go to Microsoft's Web site and check whether your computer hardware is compatible with XP. If your running Win98se, there may be some problems.

Assuming all is well, the only likely successfully way to load XP is from a clean install. In other words, you re-format your drive and start from scratch.

In this case, you will loose everything on th drive, so you need to back-up all essential data and all your applications (programs) will have to be re-installed, assuming they too, are compatible with XP.

All in all, it's a potential minefield click here for one of your contemporaries experiences of trying to upgrade.

vulcanian 15:01 17 Feb 04

Exactly 1 year ago we upgraded a Windows 98 ME PC to XP using the Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade CD.
It took about 1 hour to complete.
Everything - all files, all folders, whatever was on the ME PC drive, was copied intact.
The upgrade program even checked on the internet for any new drivers or incompatabilities. I think it found one driver needed updating.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…