Uploading to a third party site

Graham ® 13:25 22 Jan 05

I may be taking on the job of updating a local web site for a national charity. This consists of posting photographs and text.

I have no prior experience of websites (apart from browsing them!), so a few words of wisdom will be most welcome.

Sir Radfordin 16:35 22 Jan 05

A lot is going to depend on how they have their main site set up. It may be that they have a Content Managment System that you can use, or it may be that you just have webspace. I suggest a conversation with the main webmaster would be a good starting point.

If you just have webspace available to you then you are going to be free to do pretty much as you want so a quick read through some of the other beginer posts would be a sensible start.

Graham ® 19:51 22 Jan 05

Thanks. If necessary, I will be taking over from someone already doing the job, as they have other commitments now.

I'm sure Head Office will provide instructions, passwords, etc. I just wanted to hit the ground running!

Forum Editor 07:46 23 Jan 05

if you can find out which software the previous webmaster used. Your job far easier if you use the same program, and I suggest that your first move, once you have the site's login details, should be to transfer a full copy of the existing site to your hard drive.

Once you've done that you're safe - you can always re-publish the site as it was if your first attempts at changes go wrong.

When you want to make your changes - at least to begin with - run two copies of the site on your drive. Open it in the chosen software, make some changes, and save it back to your drive with a version number (mysite ver_2). Then you'll have the original version, plus your revised version. Publish that one to the server and see how you get on. If something goes wrong just re-publish the original, and you'll be back where you started.

As you gain in confidence you won't need to faff around with version numbers, you'll work with a hard drive copy and a server copy, and they'll always be the same. Whatever you do, no matter how confident you feel, never work directly on the server copy. If you do, and later on you forget where you are, and publish your (now out of sync) hard drive copy you'll overwrite your server changes, and all that work will be lost forever. Some people (and I'm one of them) have a habit of keeping different site versions on the server, too. You can do that by creating different directories for different versions, but to start with I recommend sticking to the hard drive method.

All of that will be academic if there's a content management system in place, although my experience of national charities (I run a couple of sites for charities) is that they do not spend their money on such tools.

Graham ® 10:33 23 Jan 05

Thanks, FE, that's exactly the sort of guidance I need. I've looked at the national and local sites and to the untrained eye they certainly look basic, just giving contact details and how to help.

If I do get to do it, I will post it up for opinions and suggestions.

Sir Radfordin 17:46 23 Jan 05

Might be worth having a nosy at the source code behind some of the other local site and also the national ones. In lots of cases in the first few lines you will see something that gives away which product has been used.

Things like DWLayoutTable or MM_ sugegst Dreamweaver which sites done in Frontpage will often state Frontpage Version XX.

Graham ® 19:41 23 Jan 05

How do I look at the source code?

Taran 21:27 23 Jan 05

In Internet Explorer, right click on the web page you are viewing and select the option to "View Source".

Alternatively, click on View (top toolbar) then select Source from the drop down list.

If the page(s) were created in FrontPage and if the previous web master did not disable the feature, they may be stamped in the header code block like this:

<meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 6.0">

<meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document">

Code snippets like <!--DWLayoutEmptyCell--> and <!--DWLayoutTable--> or MM_preloadImages, MM_findObj and MM_swapImgRestore indicate that the page was created with the Dreamweaver built in tools, as Sir Radfordin has said.

Another giveaway with the latest version of FrontPage is that if any JavaScript elements have been included like the built in Interactive Buttopns, the code will be prefixed with FP_, like this: FP_swapImg.

Of course, you may find no code snippets with the MM_ or FP_ prefix and you can turn off the option to include the FrontPage program identifier in the page head, but it can sometimes give you a quick pointer in the right direction.

Adobe GoLive, NetObjects Fusion and most other mainstream web editors usually leave giveaway code behind which can help identify what the page was created with.

Graham ® 21:57 23 Jan 05

Thanks! I'm on a steep learning curve now!

Taran 22:04 23 Jan 05

You could always post a link to the site and we can tell you (probably) what was used to create it.

I'll understand if you don't want to do that at this stage though ;o)

Graham ® 09:54 24 Jan 05

OK, national site contains 'MM_reloadPage(true)', so that's Dreamweaver.

Local site 'meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 4.0" ', so that's Front Page.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…