uploading pdf files to my site

mco 20:38 27 Dec 04

Apologies if this is a stupid question: I have a basic club website I'm doing from a wysiwyg template on a webhosting account. I can add links, text, photos fine. I want to add the newsletter as a pdf file - I am able to convert it from word on my pc to pdf, but how do I upload it to my site> There is a web ftp option - directories. files, folders etc. Do I use this? I can figure out how to upload it onto that area - but what on earth do I do then to make it go onto a part of my site where can I can then say: read the newsletter using acrobat reader here? Do I have to type a link? If so what? Many thanks - the webhosts FAQ are useless and my knowledge doesn't stretch this far.

Taran 21:14 27 Dec 04

Use the file upload option.

If you can create a folder for the files to go into, so much the better.

Create a folder called downloads.

Use the upload function to upload your file(s) into it.

Create a hyperlink from your web page to the file(s) you uploaded. The target address of the link will be something like:

downloads/filename.pdf

If you can't create directories then upload to one already on the web server.

LeadingMNMs 21:16 27 Dec 04

You should be able to upload the PDF just like you uploaded the webpages (unless you used Frontpage). You simply need to use FTP to upload them, and so the option in your program is probably correct. Alternatively, just use an FTP Client.

I assume that all you want to do is have a link on the web page that when clicked on, opens the PDF file.

In this case, just create a hyperlink as you would in your editor and point it at the url of the PDF file, e.g http:// mydomain . co . uk / newsletter.pdf, obviously without the spaces.

LeadingMNMs 21:17 27 Dec 04

or use relative addressing, as Taran has posted

mco 23:09 27 Dec 04

thanks! Will try these tomorrow and let you know if it's resolved.

mco 11:53 28 Dec 04

Thanks so much both of you! Easy when you know how; frustrating when you don't!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5