upload problems

steve263000 09:05 04 Nov 04

I have re-written my web page, and when I tried to upload it to the server the pages were checked, and only about three of the 20 plus pages came up as available to load. There is no point giving my web address, as it has not been loaded. If I ever get it going, I will submit it for a look. Has anyone got any idea what I have done wrong? I have checked all the links etc.

sean-278262 18:22 04 Nov 04

Have you tried deleting the already stored files on the server off it and then reloading the pages. My site had a similar problem in that I could not get all the files to load up to the server it turns out a setting in the FTP was set to check the size and not the date the file was created. so only larger files than their original counterparts where overwritten.

barryoneoff.co.uk 02:17 05 Nov 04

deleting the whole site from the server with your FTP utility, then upload the whole site. The deleting should only take a minute or two.

steve263000 06:53 05 Nov 04

Thank you all for you help, but after rechecking FP this morning, I found that I have deleted weeks of hard work by accident. A lesson is there to be learned I think. Back to the drawing board.....

Forum Editor 07:34 05 Nov 04

because we've all done it, and as you say - there's a lesson to be learned.

The lesson is to ensure that you save your new site to your hard drive as you go - save all your changes and tweaks, and do not publish the site to the server until you are reasonably happy with it. There will be minor alterations and additions to be done after the site is online of course - it's not possible to get everything right in advance - but always make sure that you work on your hard drive copy........never, ever, make site changes or do redesign work 'live' on the server, or you'll end up with two different copies of the site - one on the server and one on your hard drive. Then, the next time you publish the site via FTP you'll overwrite all the changed server files, and you'll lose hours (or maybe days) of redesign work.

Taran 09:02 05 Nov 04

In addition to the above, something I often do when running an update to a site is to create a folder on the web server with a date as the folder name. Say I update the site this morning, I'd call the folder nov_5_04 or something similar. Copy or move the contents of the current site as it stands in the web root folder on the web server into the backup folder - all good FTP clients allow you to do this. Upload your new site files from your PC as you would normally.

I often keep several copies of previous versions of a site on the web server like this. Most sites are quite small and therefore do not overly tax your web space limitations as set out by your host.

My other regular alterntive to this is to do more or less the same thing but in reverse - make the backup folder on your PC, FTP the files from the web server into it then write to backup media. Upload the new files and off you go.

I realise that this does not help your present situation but, as Forum Editor has said, we've all done this and knowing a couple of simple and logical steps to help prevent similar issues in the future is half the battle.

barryoneoff.co.uk 00:05 06 Nov 04

Sounds like a good idea using the date folder to move the files into. Cheers Taran.

steve263000 08:15 06 Nov 04

Thank you so much for the ideas. I will be backing up the files as soon as I can.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…