Upgrading to XP Pro - any advice

The Paul 10:40 11 Oct 03

I am about to upgrade from ME to XP Pro. Is there anything I should watch out for. Any hidden pitfalls or such like. I have backed up all my files and have all the driver discs incase of disaster. Cheers. Paul

VoG II 10:44 11 Oct 03

Run the Upgrade Advisor first click here

The Paul 11:16 11 Oct 03

Thanks for the link. Downloading now.Paul

Upgrading any windows to a later version is less satisfactory than a clean install. This is because an upgrade will often retain many of the old settings used in ME.
It is possible to carry out a clean install using an Xp upgrade disc. It goes without saying that you need to back up all data,make sure you have all serial numbers and drivers before starting.Also make sure your BIOS settings enable boot up from a CD rather than the floppy drive.
Insert the XP disc, then choose start, then shutdown.If Xp offers to load itself, click on cancel.With the power off wait at least a minute then turn the power on.When you get the message press any key to boot from CD, press enter, and follow the steps to delete the contents of the primary drive. Let Xp then load itself. If you subsequently get a message Press any key to reboot from CD, this time ignore it and let xp start itself from the hard drive.

The Paul 17:09 11 Oct 03

Thanks for the input. I'll make up a checklist of all the stuff I might need to reload.

VoG - ran the Upgrade Advisor. Its given me a list of things to do too.

Thanks for the help folks. Paul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…