upgrading to XP home

slim_uk 15:04 18 Mar 05

Hi folks. I am thinking of stepping up to XP home. At the Moment My PC 's os is an OEM of Windows ME. should I format the whole drive 40 gig, or should I install a upgrade version of XP Home? I have also discovered that I will have to install new drivers for my modem which is a Conexant HCF V90 Data Fax RTAD USB Modem,as well as new drivers for my scanner, which is a Colorado USB 9600. I have looked far and wide to find drivers for these two but so far have been able to find any suitable for XP home. Can anyone out there help.
thank you.

Maverick81 15:09 18 Mar 05

Bad news first the colorado 9600 doesnt work in XP at all.

Your Modem should be fine in XP though

I would do a format and clean install

Cheers

Mav

bobbybowls 16:38 18 Mar 05

this site has a walk thru on instaling this scanner
click here

ventanas 17:00 18 Mar 05

Unless you have a proper ME cd, and not a "recovery disc," you will probably have to go over the top to begin with. For a clean installation you will be asked to insert qualifying media (your me disc) early in the upgrade procedure. Most of these recovery discs do not get recognised.

If your CD is a ME installation disc then fine. Use the XP upgrade cd to reformat and install, inserting the ME disc when asked.

If its a recovery disc which doesn't work you can still get a clean installation, but will have to do it twice. Install the upgrade over the top of ME, and then use the XP disc to reformat, and reinstall a second time. You will not be asked for qualifying media if the process finds an existing XP installation. Opinions seem to be mixed, but I would always go for a clean install.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…