Upgrading XP 32bit to windows 7 64bit

C4 10:20 19 Nov 10

I have upgraded my PC by installing a new motherboard, processor, ram and a second hard drive.
In order to retain all my data I attempted to clone my original HDD onto the new one, using Acronis. The new drive is now not visible under windows although it shows in the BIOS. If I try to boot from the new disc I get the message insert recovery disc. As this came with the original set up will it work. The reason for wanting to install XP on the new disc is that Windows & 64bit apparently needs to overwrite the 32 bit XP installation.

961 10:37 19 Nov 10

I had the same basic problem when my computer had a failing hard drive. What I decided to do was install a new larger drive and, at the same time, replace the Windows XP 32 bit operating system with a new Windows 7 installation

My attempts really fell apart because I couldn't get w7 64 to work when it found the existing 32 bit XP

What I did in the end was disconnect the old drive and install W7 on the freshly formatted new drive. The point is not to install the software code when first asked but to do it later

You'll obviously need to set the bios to look for the dvd drive first so that you can boot from the windows 7 disc

If you read through this

click here

you should find it works

C4 13:25 29 Nov 10

Thanks 961.

This did not work probably because my version of 7 is OEM. Has anyone a solution to this problem?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…