Upgrading to XP

hector710 14:56 27 Mar 04

There have been several comments recently, good and bad, about upgrading to Windows XP. Yesterday, I gritted my teeth, and did it, upgrading from 98SE. Beforehand, I had downloaded the Windows XP update problems document from the Windows website, and followed all their suggestions, eg, upgrading several drivers. Apart from a small hitch with my Lexmark Z55 printer driver, all went well, and I am now happily browsing XP! One thing I have noticed is that my Broadband connection is much faster. Perhaps I have been one of the lucky ones, but I would certainly recommend going ahead.

Diodorus Siculus 14:59 27 Mar 04

What spec is your machine? If Win98SE was on it when new, I would have thought no faster than 1.2Ghz. I use 98lite / 2k / XP and so far prefer 2k. Certainly it has been the most stable.

Mind you, I like XP on my laptop.

hector710 15:06 27 Mar 04

According to Belarc Advisor my spec is as follows:1.67 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP; main circuit board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-6390 Bus Clock: 133 megahertz. does that make sense? I can do various things with and to my computer, but when it gets to computer language and figures, I tend to get lost!!

Diodorus Siculus 15:10 27 Mar 04

Yes, that is your spec all right!

You have a good processor and that makes a difference. Glad everything went ok for you - another happy XP customer then!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…