Upgrading to Windows XP from ME

Slowcoach 19:53 16 Feb 03

Can anybody tell me what the pitfalls, if any, are when upgarding to XP Home.

Is it tricky and will it cause any problems to other existing software programs?

It's only only £80, but will it be easy to just insert the CD and let it get on with it?

VoG™ 20:02 16 Feb 03

It is dead easy - just insert the CD and take it from there.

However, before forking out the money check that your hardware and software are XP-compatible click here

professor 20:03 16 Feb 03

whats your pc's spec?

as for XP you will need to get specific XP drivers for all your hardware. if you do get XP(which personally i dont think you should its still got alot of bug issues with it)do a format of your drive(FORMAT C: /U)the reason for this is that if you try to simply "upgrade" to XP you will get unusual problems which can normally only be cured with a format of your HD.

When and if you do install XP the only thing you will need to do is have a full version of ME(NOT recovery CD)as XP will ask for it if its the upgrade to XP CD you get after that bit though its a normal setup.

prof

VoG™ 20:14 16 Feb 03

I beg to differ with professor - I did an over-the-top install of XP over ME and my system runs perfectly sweetly.

The "bugs" - largely to do with security - have largely been ironed-out with Service Pack 1.

User-312386 20:44 16 Feb 03

i am sorry, but i also beg to differ, XP is vey stable and has drivers built in

madboy33

Slowcoach 21:06 16 Feb 03

Do I need the ME CD as it was loaded on when I bought the PC :>(((

VoG™ 22:04 16 Feb 03

Not if you do a straight over-the-top upgrade.

If you want to format as advised (by others I might add) then you will need an ME CD.

howard60 22:39 16 Feb 03

I would suggest you keep me and let xp do a clean install to a separate partition. I did this and was then able to use me to download the odd xp patch when I could not get it to work properly. That of course was back in the old days - now I reckon it is the best os I have used and I go back as far as a Commodore Pet in 1975.

DonJayok 22:55 16 Feb 03

I upgraded from Win98SE to XP PRO. When i ran tests on another site it listed IE 5.0 in the tests, as well as IE 6.

How could I get rid of IE 5.0 incase it causes problems?

rev.bem 23:02 16 Feb 03

VoG is right (as usual)
Try the xp test

click here

Installer. 23:03 16 Feb 03

"When and if you do install XP the only thing you will need to do is have a full version of ME(NOT recovery CD)as XP will ask for it if its the upgrade to XP CD you get after that bit though its a normal setup"

My Fujitsu Siemens recovery cd, was all XP upgrade needed when I did a clean install after format.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…