Upgrading to Windows XP

Janet-201707 13:46 09 May 04

Hello all

I have spent much of this week investigating what is involved with upgrading to Windows XP. Much of the information suggest I need to upgrade the RAM from 128mb to 512MB, and upgrade the bios. Went into crucial.com but can't find the manufacturer of PC there. Motherboard is Micro-star Inc.MS-617 1.0 BIOS is American Megatrends Inc. 62710 05/20/99. Memory module is 128 MB, Slot'o' has 128MB, Slot'1' is empty. Can you tell me how then I find which upgrade of both that I need and how do I find out the cost/ What also is this DDR memory I am finding references to and is this the way to go? I have a suspicion it might pay to have a re- build of tower with the new technology built in.

Thanks if you can point me in the right direction.

Running a Tiny PC 700mhtz Intel Pentium Processor 30 GB Harddrive. Windows 98SE OS.

LastChip 15:15 09 May 04

I think you may be missing a number off your motherboard. Could it possibly be a 6178?

You will find it listed on Crucial under MSI.

Almost certainly, your motherboard will NOT support DDR memory. This is a later version of SDR which I suspect is what your looking for.

But first, ask yourself why you want to change to XP.

Although there is no question it will run on your machine, it will be considerably slower than '98. Arguably, it's more stable, but are you suffering from instability? There will possibly be incompatibility problems with hardware, and almost certainly with drivers. As I have said before here, it is not the panacea that Microsoft would have you believe!

TomJerry 15:28 09 May 04

As suggested by LastChip, it is not necessarily a good ide to upgrade to WinXP unless you have certain software which can only be run on XP.

As for momory, you should be able to run it with 256MB, i.e. add another stick of 128MB.

No need to upgrade Bios for installing WinXP. If you want to upgrade it, you should be able to find it on MSI's web site click here. they are really good in providing new upgrades for their motherboards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…