upgrading Windows Me to XP Pro

PEG007 17:55 23 Jan 05

Six attempts to install XP Pro unsuccessfully; all goes according to prompts including acceptance of key; initialising commences and then the system hangs.
Any suggestions?

Frank-P 18:01 23 Jan 05

ME to XP is a well known source of problems. I strongly recommend backing up your data (including Favorites and address books) and then doing a "clean install" of XP. Then you will have banished the ME gremlins for good, and will just have to deal with the remaining little idiosyncracies of XP!

Kegger 18:03 23 Jan 05

where did you get the disk from? is it a retail version or else where? on the initialising side you can get a black screen for up to 15 mins if you have a usb device plugged in (win XP hates usb devices on boot up). Kegger

Frank-P 18:05 23 Jan 05

Just thought, the reason for the hanging may be that you are short of sufficient free space on your Hard Disk, since during upgrade it has both sets of files on disk. You could get around this by freeing up space (archiving data to CD, or uninstalling unwanted programs), or by selecting the "no going back " installation option which does not save as much data. That said, I still recommend a clean install.

VoG II 18:10 23 Jan 05
  Kegger 18:33 23 Jan 05

i concur with VoG™ give it a try, follow threw MS instructions, however i have had customers that have used ... shall we say a none retail version of Microsoft XP pro upgrade that is unusable which gives the same error message that you are recieving. ie hangs on black sceeen! and will not boot. if that is the case please post back.... as Frank _p asks what is the state of PC? how much room do you have on the C drive? what PC do you have have with regards to Hard drive size? i will try to help. Kegger

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now