upgrading to windows me

taffhughes 16:35 14 Feb 04

I have 2 hand drives, my main drive (c) is a 2GB drive which has win 98 running on it and is set as my main drive
My second drive (d) has 6GB. I have 192MB ram and a pentium 2 333hz processor
My problem is that as they are not linked (raid)my system freezes when I try to upgrade to ME

anon1 18:01 14 Feb 04

I dont think you should try and put ME on there. Your spec is very low and you really should consider getting a new pc. pentium 2 is slow by modern standards and I would guess that the mainboard is not really upgradeable by much. You could consider an "upgrade bundle" for about £130/£160 and a new hard drive (40gb for about £30/£40) Then forget ME and go for xp

Megatyte 18:16 14 Feb 04

There's no reason that your system should not accept ME, but why bother? You will not be really gaining anything (a lot of folk in here would say it's a downgrade).

Is the ME CD damaged in any way? It sounds like corrupted files.

AH

Steve N 18:19 14 Feb 04

I agree. While ME is beeter than 98, with the type if system you have it isn't really worth upgrading.

If I were you I'd get a nice new PC and definately get Windows XP I have been using it since release and it is great.

You'll want anything over 1GHz processor and at least 256MB (recommend 512MB) RAM to make the most of it and a 40GB HDD will be fine if you don't have many games or large files.

Need any more advice feel free to ask (like where to get the stuff from)!

AubreyS 18:22 14 Feb 04

M.E? I wouldn't bother! When I had M.E. I had more blue screens and lock-ups than I could shake a stick at!

LastChip 18:34 14 Feb 04

I've got three machines here all running ME and have almost forgotten what a blue screen looks like. It seems you either love it, or hate it, but for me it's excellent.

PanMan 18:53 14 Feb 04

I agree that ME is better than 98 or 98SE but not as good as XP, after all thats what Bill intended. However the advice to taffhughes about biting the bullet and buying a nice new pc is really the best thing to do. By todays standards your machine is very outdated 2GB hard drives must go back about 8 to 10 years now so I guess the machine was once updated to P2 in the past probably when the 2nd hard drive was added.

taffhughes 08:03 15 Feb 04

thank's for every body for your advise

I think it's time to spend some of my hard earned cash and by a new computer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…