upgrading to windows 98SE - to use USB2 HD

andy@ 14:13 06 Jan 05

I want to buy an external USB 2 hard drive (for ease of transferring to a new PC - eventually), and need to upgrade from Windows 98, which apparently does not support USB 2. If I buy second hand Win98SE software (e.g. from amazon) would this be a full reinstall from scratch, or a more simple upgrade, or does one get the option to do either?

I guess the HD access will be fairly slow into a USB 1.1 port, but bearable hopefully. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Andy

ACOLYTE 14:17 06 Jan 05

If you get the full 98se disk it will ask you if you wont to upgrade when you put the disk in,but you could format the hdd and just install 98se.If you upgrade it will ask if you wont to save the original settings first maybe a good idea,just in case.If i was getting 98se full i think i would be tempted to do a clean install,but thats up to you.

pj123 14:52 06 Jan 05

Windows 98SE also doesn't support USB without drivers. Maybe you should look at upgrading to Windows XP.

andy@ 15:06 06 Jan 05

Thanks.

Clean install sounds good, but does this require installing all applications/ security updates/ everything again?

I think (?) XP would run too slowly on my athlon 333Mhz (!) :-) 256 Mb RAM, 4GB HD machine.

Andy

pj123 15:20 06 Jan 05

andy@, clean install for any system would involve re-installing everything.

I agree XP would be very slow running on your current computer, but it would work.

It's possible that you should be looking for a completely new up-to-date computer altogether.

Diemmess 15:39 06 Jan 05

Fresh install does involve everything from scratch, but there are some advantages.

It will provide a USB bus as part of the installation, You will have to provide or download USB drivers for each device you wish to plug in.

You would wise to consider a PCI to USB 2 card which will give you 4 more ports at the USB2 speed, (important if using a USB HD). Not important for a printer or something like this which takes its data "slowly"

TomJerry 15:54 06 Jan 05

internal HD is cheap and very easy to replace and your PC will run fatser becuase new HDDs are faster than the one you have.

40Gb £28.8 click here

80GB £35.6 click here

120GB £44.8 click here

andy@ 16:09 06 Jan 05

Thanks all,

There is a limit to how much I want to upgrade; new PC would be great - probably would be a laptop (+£500, I guess), but unfortunately not yet.

Yes, maybe I should go with an int-HD to skirt the USB2/98SE issue. The 80GB HD looks good value! I did briefly look into a second internal HD (have a spare port). Don't think the BIOS(?) supports greater than 4GB. Am I right in thinking there is some sofware to overcome this?

Andy

Diemmess 16:17 06 Jan 05

Have had mobos with less speed than yours which would support up to 20+Gb. Most HDs sold these days can be partitioned and formatted ready to fit using a small program downloaded from the manufacturer's website, and used on a floppy which boots for you.

pj123 16:23 06 Jan 05

Check out here:

click here

the cheapest I can see in Systems is £230.

TomJerry 16:30 06 Jan 05

go to manufacture's web site, you may find bios flash available to update your motherboard

if you find motherboard infor, EVEREST will do it for you click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…