//some 3rd party need geo

upgrading from windows 95 to windows xp profession

la44 13:58 10 Aug 03

i have got windows 95 on my computer and would like somebody to explain to me how we upgrade to windows xp professional. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Tim1964 15:44 10 Aug 03

I don't think you can 'upgrade' from win95. I believe you have to go for a 'full' version instead.
Also, you may need to check if your PC is up to the minimum spec (concerning free HDD space and processor) as XP takes at least a Gb on its own.

Good luck.

Djohn 16:05 10 Aug 03

As Tim says, you will need the full version of XP. If your Hardware/software is sutiable for XP, then I think all you will need to do is go into your BIOS, set your CD drive as the "first bootable drive"

Then re-boot with XP disk in the drive, follow the instructions, it will format, then install fresh for you. Don't forget to back up all your personal files to a CD or floppy first though. j.

SEASHANTY 16:05 10 Aug 03

Sorry but Tim is right. You cannot upgrade W95 to XP and it is doubtful if a PC currently using 95 would be suitable anyway. i.e. lack of USB support HDD space. RAM. Best thing is to buy a budget priced PC with XP Home installed or a second hand one. You would certainly appreciate the change from 95 to XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…