Upgrading Windows 95 to Windows 98

Mezzo 16:15 28 Jan 03

Is this easy to do?

I couldnt get hold of an ugrade disk (if there is such a thing), so I have a full version of Windows 98.

Is it just a case of d:\setup.exe ??!!

Thanks.

Legolas 16:21 28 Jan 03

Once you booted into your desktop just put the Win98 disk in your cd-rom drive and follow the instructions.(:-}

Mezzo 16:24 28 Jan 03

thanks. sounds complicated!!!! ;-)

Sir Radfordin™ 16:30 28 Jan 03

er...have a feeling it might not work as the full disk doesn't always let you upgrade.

pj123 16:38 28 Jan 03

Not as easy as that. win98 will detect an already existing version and probably wont work.

You need to boot your PC to win 95 and then go to c:\windows and delete a file called command.com
DO NOT DO THIS UNTIL YOU READ THE NEXT BIT

you would then need a boot disk on Floppy disk with CD support (which if you want a copy let me know and I will post it to you with instructions)

then use the win 98 setup disc.

Mezzo 17:08 28 Jan 03

This is for my old pc. Im on a very fast Dell now with Broadband, so is it possible to get what I'd need off the Net somewhere? e.g download the upgrade file and burn onto CD, rather than using the full version of Windows 98?

A boot disk for 95 or 98 by the way?

Thanks pj123.

Mezzo.

Switcher 17:26 28 Jan 03

Rename your WIN.COM file and setup will be fooled into thinking that you don't have a previous version.

Mezzo 17:29 28 Jan 03

how do i do that? in msdos? im not very good with msdos!

any pointers please?

spikeychris 17:37 28 Jan 03

Startup in dos prompt: and type this

C:\> cd windows
C:\windows> ren win.com win.bak and restart

Chris

Mezzo 17:45 28 Jan 03

ok, thanks. whats going to happen after i restart the pc having renamed win.com to win.bak?

spikeychris 18:32 28 Jan 03

Renaming is just a safety blanket that can be turned over. You can if you wish just delete it and as Switcher says it will trick setup into thinking it is an original installation.

Chris

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017