Upgrading from Windows 95 to 98

tractorman1 08:59 25 Feb 03

I wish to upgrade from Windows 95 to 98. Is it possible to upgrade using a full version of Windows 98SE without formatting the hard drive (use the full version as an upgrade)?

Gongoozler 09:49 25 Feb 03

tractorman1, I am fairly certain that you can upgrade using the full version of Windows 98 as you say, but I think upgrading rather than formatting and reinstalling misses an ideal opportunity to remove all the old clutter your hard drive would have accumulated since Windows 95 was installed.

There is some useful information on the Microsoft KnowledgeBase http: //support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q188881 (Remove the space after http: before pasting the link into your browser address window)

woodchip 10:02 25 Feb 03

You cannot leave the old win 95 on the computer and use a full Win98 disc to upgrade you have to format your drive and reload new from CD

Aspman 10:36 25 Feb 03

IMHO you can upgrade in this way, but it takes ages (depending on your machine) and it often goes wrong.

Its best to do a format and start with a fresh system. Make sure you download all the drivers you'll need and stick them on cd first if you can.

anchor 12:30 25 Feb 03

Obviously, as previous postings tell you, a completely fresh installation on a reformatted disc would be best.

Perhaps you do not wish to do this. If you try to upgrade with a full version of Win98, you will probably be told that a version of windows already exists, and you won`t be able to proceed.

However, as I remember it would be possible by changing an exisiting file name in your present windows folder. I cannot recall which file, but there was a recent thread that mentioned this.

tractorman1 13:22 26 Feb 03

Thanks for prompt advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017