Upgrading to Windows 7

xania 14:40 PM 01 Aug 11
Answered

I've decided to take the plunge and upgrade from XP Pro to Windows 7 Home Premium. However, not altogether - I still want access to XP for those little niggles (like no drivers available) so -

1. should I simply install Windows 7 in a new partition (my partitions are split over 2 drives so I CAN set it up as the primary partition on drive 2)
  2. as 1 but install 7 as a second primary partition on disk 1
  3. should I move XP to the primary partition on drive 2 and install Windows 7 as the primary partition on drive 1
  4. as 3 but move XP to a second primary partition on disk 1.

I'm assuming that Windows 7 will set up the options screen on boot-up in the same way that XP does?

Incidentially, I have noticed that my PC works perfectly well with an operating system (XP or even 98) in a secondary logical partition, so does this parimary partition issue matter in any case?

NB I don't want to have to reinstall XP but can easily move it using one of my partition managers

c4rm0 15:01 PM 01 Aug 11

XP on the first partition then create a secondary parition and install w7 onto that.

I would also look into VHD's so you would not even need to parition the drive you create a Vdisk via Diskpart which sits on your Disk then attach it and format it and install W7 onto the VHD

xania 14:01 PM 02 Aug 11

Thank you for this. VHD is not part of my plan for the present - I think I'll wait until the price drops a bit more.

xania 15:05 PM 06 Aug 11

Forgot to ask. Should the w7 partition be a second primary on the HDD, a primary on the second HDD, or doesn't it matter?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:18 PM 06 Aug 11
Answer

Read here on how to Dual boot windows 7 with your existing XP

john bunyan 15:50 PM 06 Aug 11

About 18 months ago I ran a dual boot system with XP and W7 Ultimate. I soon ditched XP and have had no problems since.

xania 13:15 PM 15 Aug 11

John

I suspect I will be doing the same, but I do know I have some hardware where no W7 drivers are available so I want the best of both worlds for the present.

xania 13:18 PM 15 Aug 11

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Thank you very much for finding this. I will read and follow.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

OnePlus 2 UK release date, price, specification: OP2 confirmed in VR product launch - full OnePlus…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Motoman robots: from killing The Terminator to samurai swordmanship

Why Apple's being criticised for everything, even the good things