Upgrading Win98SE to Win ME

noida 18:07 11 Oct 03

Is it worth it.

MAJ 18:15 11 Oct 03

Not if you have to pay to get it done or pay for the disk, noida.

noida 18:24 11 Oct 03

My processor is an Athlon 2000XP. I can upgrade at no additional cost but not sure if it is worth the hassle.

MAJ 18:28 11 Oct 03

Personally I'd stick with Win 98SE, if it's working okay for you, noida. In my opinion Win98SE is a lot more stable OS than ME.

VoG II 18:30 11 Oct 03

I agree with MAJ. The term "upgrade" is something of a misnomer here.

The only thing you would really gain is System Restore but that's a bit flaky with XP. But you would not have System File Checker.

VoG II 18:31 11 Oct 03

"flaky with ME" I meant!

bof:) 18:50 11 Oct 03

I have to agree, I use win98se but have friends on ME who are always having problems with it.

Ironman556 19:12 11 Oct 03

Problems seem to arise when upgrading your OS when one is already installed ie. running 98SE, sitcking the disc in and hitting Upgrade.

If you're going for a full reformat anyway then give it a go, if you don;t like it or it's not as stable for you then just put 98SE back on.

I've heard a lot of bugs have been fixed in ME (and the Defrag is a lot fster), but also quite a few people seem to have problems. It'll probably love your system and run perfectly, or just die, and you'll have to go back to 98.

MS have stopped supporting 98, I think the support is still there for ME though. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

Demora 22:40 11 Oct 03

Don't do it!!!!!!

We had nothing but trouble with ME and later after after the PC died (I swear it was ME fault running stuff in the background and brunt the thing ouy) were able to get a pc with XP Much better and 98se is much better too

Demora

Switcher 00:37 12 Oct 03

Win98se to ME is a downgrade in my experience

noida 22:30 14 Oct 03

Thanks for the advice folks . Gonna stick with what I have.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…