Upgrading win98 to XPhome

enginman 19:49 12 May 03

I have used Claris Works for some years and have
a lot of data on floppy discs but XP will not work with Claris so how can I connect my old 98
computer to work as a slave to my new one?

powerless 20:13 12 May 03

Backup your work in XP first to be on the safe side.

Now unplug the computer and all its connections and pull it out in the light. Open up the case...

Touch your hands to the metal chassis.

Find you hard drive. To find it, just find a big wire that goes to (probably) the bottom of the PC case. (other Connections will go to the top, CD drive etc)

On this wire. There will be 3 connections, two at either end and one in the middle. Connect your old 98 hard drive to the connection in the middle. On the back of both hard drive there'll be little plastic jumpers (fiddly things).

You have to set this new drive to slave, so set the jumper to correct postion. Look on the hard drives shiny surface for correct postion.

Also connect up the power connector. Just find a spare connection from the power supply.

Put it all back together and connect everything up again. Boot up and you should boot into Windows XP. If you go to "MY Computer" you should be able to see your Hard drive shown as another Drive. If you explore this drive you will be able to see all the Windows 98 files.

In windows XP go to Start > Control Panel > System > Advanced > (third) Settings > Click "Edit" and you should see...

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

(however there will not be any spaces between the lines)

Make the following change...

[boot loader]

timeout=30

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS

Save the change and retart your computer, you should now see a screen where you can change with operating system you wish to use. Choose Windows (98).

If this does not boot into XP and post back.

All your doing in XP is adding multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS under the line of multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect this is telling XP that theres a operating system on the second hard disc and you want to be able to go there.

Disk 1 is known as disk 0

Disk 2 is known as disk 1

If you find that your hard drive cannot be connected to the middle connection because there is another drive there post back. If you experience an problems but everything back to what was.

powerless 20:16 12 May 03

If you experience any problems put everything back to what it was.

powerless 20:27 12 May 03

It would be good if we gave Windows 98 a name from above...

"multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS"

When you get to the options screen to select your operating system. There will be no name there.

So to get a name displayed...

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows 98"

So you should have...

[boot loader]

timeout=30

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows 98"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…