Upgrading to win XP from win98

I want to upgrade my Pentium 3 400Mhz desktop to win XP home (just meets the min spec)

Currently I have win 98. I have the upgrade disks to take me to win xp home. Can anyone advise me of a good article/info source on how to do this. In particular I wish to start afresh from a nice clean machine.. and reformat the hard drive, take the opportunity to partition into two drives, and then load the win 98 cd, then load xp upgrade on top. I have most of the driver CDs and all win CDs etc.

Any view/experience on whether the PC will be slow once its on XP..(it has 512MB but is at the bottom end of the min spec for XP in terms of proc speed) I only ever plan to use it as an internet browsing and to do email etc.

johnsims 23:29 04 Jul 04

I run XP pro on a 466 mhz celeron laptop and I have to say it does struggle a bit, but I have only 256 Mb RAM on the machine, having 512 will help, but you are right to think the processor speed may be a limiting factor.

The microsoft support site has a string of good articles. go to support.microsoft.com and do a search on "install windows XP" in the knowledge base.

jimv7 23:50 04 Jul 04

Change the boot sequence to boot from cd, put the xp cd in and follow the onscreen instructions, during the loading it will ask for the 98 cd to verify you are entitled to upgrade, you can also format and partition your hard drive during the installation.

jakimo 03:20 05 Jul 04

click here

click on installing xp(left hand col.)

hugh-265156 03:42 05 Jul 04

as above, although some may well run xp on slower systems it may be very sluggish in use.

upgrade your ram if you can to at least 256mb and 512mb to get xp to run even better. but your processor may still struggle with anything more than internet and office tasks.

check the rest of your hardware is xp compatable also click here 32mb but may save you some headaches

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…