Upgrading to Win XP how to save old info etc.

Ms_Dial 23:01 09 Dec 05

I am currently running WinME on my 5 yr old e-machines - 433mhz, 256mb RAM, 40gb HD (29gb free) and would like to upgrade to WinXP. I've checked into both and my pc meets the minimum specs but I don't know which version would be better for me. Any advice?

I understand the Pro version has more security, I have AVG, Ad-aware, Spywareblaster, CCleaner on this already and am hoping to just save and transfer my favorite programs, music, etc., over to newly formatted drive. Problem is I can't find info in ME's help section that tells me how to save all this only to backup the registry. Could anyone direct me to a helpful step-by-step instructional page regarding this?

Diodorus Siculus 08:41 10 Dec 05

The home version is more than secure enough for you. The added benefits of pro are for a networked enviornment.

You real problem will be that your PC will not run well with XP - 433mhz and 256mb RAM may well exceed minimum requirements but they will not make for a satisfactory computing experience.

Do you have a problem with WinMe? A reinstall of WinME would help a lot.

Even a "downgrade" to Win98SE would be a positive step.

Mavericke 09:22 10 Dec 05

With your current machine, I would think your best bet is to increase more memory (512MB or 768MB) before you upgrade to WinXP as the OS will require lots more memory when it is running.I do understand that your system meets the requirements but in the real world,you might suffer the consequence of thinking that perhaps WinME is much better as WinME is running much faster than WinXP when you upgrade.

If you were to upgrade to WinXP, take the Home Edition as it will save you some money.With that money you can save it for other use.I'm using a Home Edition too.

Jackcoms 10:57 10 Dec 05

Ideal minimum RAM for XP is 512mb.

Anything less than that and it'll be like watching paint dry.

I agree with Diodorus Siculus and Mavericke - Home edition is more than adequate for the home user.

The security features (and they're excellent) of both Home and Pro are equal to each other and Pro is really only the better choice in a networked environment.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…